Sunday, May 20, 2007

Reactions to Murder in Amsterdam

Murder in Amsterdam really helped me put into the history of the Netherlands as well as the current political turmoil. I really liked how Buruma came from a position that clearly had some bias, being an acquaintance of van Gogh, but at the same time held a pretty neutral view and showed multiple sides of the debate over Muslim assimilation. There were times when I felt he leaned towards sympathy with one side (for example Hirsi Ali) but he often says something right afterwards that looks at her actions/personality in another light. Throughout the reading I felt I couldn't put my feet onto any ground where I "supported" but that is what I appreciate. I also appreciate that I could follow along and discover the country's history and social setting instead of being thrust into the story without any backing.

I personally think alienation or "other"-fying of Muslims truly exists in Europe right now. From the historical description of the Netherlands, I also think tolerance may have become an embedded word in national identity. However, this doesn't cover up for natural human instincts to distrust those of difference or to be uncomfortable with certain differences. There is also the need for a unity - thus any factors that can threaten a Dutch "mentality" may be seen as dangerous. Ironically, the presence of one group whose ideals/background culture may not be deemed "tolerant" enough to belong to the native community is being in a way discriminated against which goes to show the native community's "intolerance." So it seems like to protect a national ideal, the nation has to go against the ideal.

No comments: