Saturday, August 11, 2007

Interview + Exploration Wonders

Today started out fresh and optimistic. I had an interview scheduled with a mother Zoubida and her daughter Hanan at 10:00 am. I took the tram 1 line by Julie's wonderful suggestion and ended up going a bit too far but took the opposite tram 1 back to Surinameplein. Along the way I talked to both immigrants as well as native Dutch and they were very helpful in pointing me to the right direction. I'm truly thankful.



Upon arriving at Zoubida and Hanan's home on the second floor, Hanan waved at me through the window and I went up. They are a middle class Moroccan family currently in the second generation here in Amsterdam with a really beautiful and bright home. They were incredibly kind and helpful and served me waffle cookies while I was there! The interview was friendly, relaxed, and incredibly insightful for me. I learned so many things and they were so honest about everything. I tried my best to ask questions and probe into all corners that I had some misconceptions or had need of clarification. Some of the major findings I got today was the following:

*The choice to wear head scarves is supposed to be based solely on one's religion or relationship with God. However, because the head scarf is undoubtedly tied into other social meanings, there will be social pressures against wearing it (especially when getting a job) as well as individuals who abuse the purpose of wearing a headscarf by using it create an 'good' or 'holy' image for themselves. The headscarf does not however designate a woman as a good muslim - that has to consider multiple factors including how well she follows the five tenants of Islam (including giving to poor, etc)

*The headscarf is often viewed as one of the final/closing performances a Muslim woman should do - it is a symbol for having chosen a certain lifestyle for most women (but there are exceptions)

*Muslim men probably also have misconceptions or jump to conclusions about women who wear and don't wear the headscarf. Generally, Muslim men prefer the idea of the head-scarved woman because they assume she is very religious, etc and may even become fixated on this 'ideal' but the headscarf again is not a tell all end all

After the interview, I walked towards the Islamic Relief Organization but found out that it was closed. I asked a bypasser who said it might be open Monday. It seems this place is more for providing relief in Islamic nations so it probably doesn't connect much to our research on Muslim women's fashion but it was interesting to visit the surrounding Amsterdam West neighborhood. I took quite a few pictures, it was fairly mixed (with significant native Dutch around) but was a predominantly immigrant area. As I walked around I talked to a Muslim mother with a stroller but unfortunately she didn't speak much English. She asked a Dutch woman over who was very nice and helped translate my intentions to her (for an interview). The Dutch lady seemed to have a bit of background knowledge on the topic and helped explain that generally the headscarf is by personal choice. She also had the attitude that was very friendly toward the Islamic woman which I found pleasant. After confirming with the Muslim woman that she wasn't proficient enough for an interview I bid them farewell since they had business to do.



I went into a small department store and asked the head-scarfed young woman cashier if she would be interested in interviewing but she kindly declined. I also went into another blokker store on Jan Evertsenstraat and got email addresses for two Muslim girls there who were not wearing a headscarf in case I had any questions to pose to them. They didn't have enough time for a 20 minute interview so I respected that.

Along the way walking back to Surinameplein, I came across an area with school children. They were Moroccan and were playing outside of their school actually. They told me the school was mixed and that a lot of Moroccan, Surinamese, and Turks lived in their area as well as English people and Dutch people. They were a friendly bunch and brightened my day significantly :) I also saw two immigrant (seemed to be either Moroccan or Turkish) girls sitting outside a small grocery store that was actually located inwards (near residential area which I found interesting) eating icecream and they waved hello at me. I greeted them back and asked if they spoke English which they replied 'Nay'. I waved good-bye and had to continue on my way.

I got on Tram 1 again and headed back towards Centraal Station. I stopped at Jan Pieter Heyenstraat to visit the Moroccan restaurant Paloma Blanca which we had found earlier by searching but was also recommended by Hanan. It was empty except for a Dutchman (presumed friend of owner) and owner himself. It probably wasn't dinner time yet as the owner said Friday and Saturdays are good days to come when people are around. I mentioned Irina and I are interested in coming in and doing some observation/research and he said we are welcome anytime :) Also a great chance to get Moroccan food!

I got back on Tram 1 and this time went all the way back to Centraal Station, got a falafel sandwich, and headed on over to Albert Heijn. I asked the counter workers if I could have an interview with the manager sometime regarding uniforms and Muslim women's dress. The owners were busy but the counter worker gave me the names and number to contact them so I will try to schedule that for next week. All and all a great experience today! Fun navigating around too - I absolutely love the tram system now so efficient - just had to figure out some aspects of the system but after that it was smooth sailing from there.

No comments: