Sunday, August 19, 2007

Wanderings in Rotterdam

On Friday, our whole class went to 'the cave' a virtual reality center that was part of SARA the Netherlands computing and networking center. We also got a tour to see the supercomputers. So sad to hear that the supercomputers are just a waste after they become outdated. Later on in the day we had a lecture on sex work by Petra and later visited the sex worker information center and went on a guided tour across the different regions of the red light district and what kind of sex workers you would find in each area. During the day, I got calls from Selma but due to low cellphone minutes I called Selma later during the day and arranged for an interview on Monday @ 2:00 pm in Dappermarkt.

Yesterday, went out to Rotterdam by train and just did some self exploration. Irina and I bought tickets together and then we headed over to Rotterdam and explored independently. I came off and bought a frikandel from the automatic machine but somehow even putting in 2 euros, the machine didn't give me change but the lady was kind enough to tell me to come inside and get 80 cents. So it wasn't 100% automatic experience but it was cool using the machine. Later, I came out the back side of the central station and went into a small foods store and the owner pointed me to a map outside on the side of the building I was looking for places where I had listed from the web of interesting places to visit but failed to see any so I just decided to walk. I took a right and then right again and came onto a large car-filled street so I kept walking down that road by making a left and then went towards a big zoo but the entrance fee was extremely high and no discounts for students so I turned left and went under tunnel until I saw a nice park. I took a right and went into an immigrant filled neighborhood. I went and did some shopping and then came upon an Islamic Cultural Center. It turned out to be primarily a store, similar to the Moroccan store we had visited in Amsterdam West but larger and more roomy. I talked to the shop-keeper who couldn't speak English well so I ended up speaking to a customer who really wanted to talk to me about Islam - probably at first thinking I wanted to convert but later just providing me with an English tranlation of Koran and said I could ask for further help if needed. He had mentioned there was a mosque nearby I could visit at 6:00 when they did daily prayer.

I went an had Tagine at a Moroccan Eet-cafe and it was DELICIOUS. I totally would have it again! The prices was better than at Paloma Blanca and the server was really kind and helped answer my question of what Tagine was etc. After I was full I went and started walking backwards to the store area and continued walking in hopes of finding the mosque that the costumer had directed me to but apparently I crossed the street when I shouldn't have and ended up having to go back. The small building with a mosque sign on it that I had passed earlier with curiosity turned out to be the right mosque. I stayed outside and just observed until the customer came & approached me and told me I could go in without a problem - I just had to take off my shoes.

While inside he mentioned the following points:

* The mosque has several prayer times a day, we were at 6:00 there was another at 9:00 - they try to make it easy for people who are at work to come in but some people who are to busy to come at all can pray at home too

* There are about 5 mosques in the area

* Women and men pray separately at the mosque to keep from temptation - he said it's not discrimination (some mosques women pray behind the men) - therefore the period where I was observing was supposed to be women-free so I got constant looks

* You must clean yourself before praying so there's a shower room I saw quite a few men use - you are also supposed to be sober & drug free

* There is a predominant Jewish population North, South more Surinamese and Antilles, West more Moroccan and Turks

* He doesn't feel like he's accepted in Dutch culture. He made pretty strong points that he feels Dutch on the outside appear nice and friendly but on the inside it's a different story - they don't want to get to know you and want you to keep from becoming 'smart' because it's threatening.

Things I noticed:

* Very diverse immigrant population

* Quieter than Amsterdam, less crowded

* Sky-rises on one side with very modern buildings & then a side of more traditional Dutch homes on the other side of Central Station itself (it was like a divider)

No comments: